Saturday, February 13, 2010

Correlation between religion and child sex abuse

I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. My parents were hellfire-and-brimstone types and I grew up scared shitless of going to hell. Many of the other survivors I talk to report that they came from similarly bent religious environments. Has anyone ever done a study on the correlation between the hell doctrine and childhood sex abuse? Hell seems an awful lot like S&M to me, especially when you're supposed to love the guy who puts you there.

Religious people, please forgive me if I cause any offense. Before you flame me, please consider the offenses that were done to me when I was a ten-year-old boy. I'm not blaming your god. I'm just asking whether this scarring hellfire doctrine encourages people's minds to unhinge and open the door to atrocity.

Also, please don't quote scripture or pray for me. I'm looking for a genuine answer, trying to get some closure. I challenge you religious people to be as compassionate as your hero if you're going to respond at all. Best that you respond to that ten-year-old boy.

Some doofum (superlative of doofus) posted something about how Jesus loves me. I had to respond:

Jesus loves me? When I first heard about hell I desperately read the bible to try to stay out. What did Jesus tell me? Cut off your hand and gouge out your eye. Gentle, loving, yeah.

Best answer, posted by "Micah":

no, people choosing to follow their fleshly instincts like wild beasts causes it.

My response:

Funny, I follow my fleshly instincts as much as I can, but I've never had any desire to have sex with a child. Strange that so many religious people do.

No comments:

Post a Comment