Thursday, April 1, 2010

On the problem of evil

I have finally figured out the problem of evil that philosophers and theologians have wrestled with for thousands of years. I finally get it, after a blinding flash of insight I had while considering Darwin's problem with the family of wasps known as the ichneumonidae:

I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidae with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars...

But now I can see a reason why this terrible deity would, out of love (albeit a sick and twisted kind of love, the kind with which I'm most familiar), give us the example of the ichneumonidae: he wishes to show us that he really does mean business, that he really is willing to torture us if we don't love him.

The ichneumonidae could well be the most obvious sign of God's existence, character, and intentions that I've ever seen. Now I understand why God allows evil to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment